Wednesday, February 27, 2008

And How Does That Make You Feel?

Blue is used mostly for a calm, mellow color. In class when we all did the mood/temps blue was always used for calm/gloomy/bored/cold etc. I found some other common associations here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_symbolism_and_psychology) and wanted to put it to the test. Is the majority of people’s associations with blue calm/cold/trusting/sky/ocean etc?

So I went around asking a bunch of people, “what comes to mind when you think of the color blue?” to try to get an idea of where their emotion comes from. Then I asked, “what kind of mood/emotion do you get from the color blue?” to see if the general consensus matched my research.


Me: What comes to mind when you think of the color blue?
Chris: Sapphires, or better yet your eyes.
Me: My eyes are green smartass. What kind of feelings do you get from blue?
Chris: Oh. Calm.

1st question/2nd question

Mom: The Ocean/Warm and happy.

Matthew: Cold/Sad

Logan: Sky or Ocean/Calm.

Frank: Boy,Sky/Hopeful.

Emilia: Cloth. Pretty blue cloth/Calm, but almost a fake calm. A medicinal calm.

Sarah: Picasso blue period/Depression, cold.

Drajan: Sky. Your mom’s car. Water/Chill.

Harrison: Ocean/Calm.

Monty: A blue Mustang for some reason/Cool… like relaxed.

Christina: The sky and my friend’s mustang/Calm.

Vicki: Cold/Calm.

Answers I’m not going to count:


Tony: Death/Funderful.

Andrew: My eyes.
Me: You would. What mood/emotions do you get from blue?
Andrew: I’m a guy, I don’t associate emotions with colors.
Me: You’re a human being, therefore you do. What is blue to you?
Andrew: A color.

Matt: My hair.

Conclusion: A lot of people think about the ocean and/or the sky when they think of blue. But all of the results were found in the common associations with the color. The majority (2/3) did associate calm (chill, relaxed, etc) with blue which is not surprising to me since I always assumed it was the most common association. Or maybe because that’s what I associate blue with? Also, I need better, more cooperating, less stupid, less mustang-obsessive friends.

No comments: